Re: Why does ORA not allow to rename and drop columns?

From: <xmark.powell_at_eds.com.x>
Date: 20 Apr 2001 13:29:10 GMT

In article <9bomc3$cr0$07$2_at_news.t-online.com>, Lanying & Manfred Chen-Fischer <manfis_at_t-online.de> writes:
>With the help of an ALTER statement, all the other database system have the
>opportunity to create, alter and drop columns in a direct way without
>copying and renaming tricks.
>
>What is the reason for this stupid limitation?

Per a post from several years ago, Oracle's treatment of column names was based on the ANSI standard which basically forbid their change after creation.

Oracle version 8.1.7 provides commands to disable the use of and drop columns from an existing table in place. I do not remember there being a way to rename a column, but a check of the SQL manual should show if this is supported.