Re: Coalesce Tablespace Question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:21:53 +0100

I haven't checked it recently, but the attempt to coalesce used to occur every 5 minutes; but every 2 hours and 5 minutes (every 25th cycle) smon would also look for temporary segments that were due to be freed. Newer versions of oracle have introduced new tasks - for example the MONITOR option on tables is done in memory, but written to the data dictionary every 3 hours.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html