Re: Can't get extproc listener working - help?

From: John Russell <johnrussell10_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 06:43:11 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:19:24 GMT, philo_at_radix.net (Philo) wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:02:23 +0200, Sybrand Bakker
><postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>

>>>Trying to run
>>>exec ctx_output.start_log('log')
>>>
>>>From SQLPlus gives me this error:
>>>ORA-20000: interMedia Text error:
>>>DRG-50704: Net8 listener is not running or cannot start external
>>>procedures
>>>
>>>What am I missing?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>Philo
>>You are missing
>> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(key=extproc))
>>in listener.ora
>>and the key= in your tnsnames.ora needs to read EXTPROC too.
>>

>Tried that - didn't work. Is there anything I hafta do to the database
>to "enable" extprocs?
>
>This is driving me insane.
>
>Philo

I have had this problem multiple times, always with a different cause. Once the solution was to install a patch for MTS from Metalink. Another time a new tnsnames entry was needed with a SERVER=DEDICATED line. Another time was just a typo in tnsnames (fully qualified name specified in one place, partially specified in another).

Somewhere on otn.oracle.com is an overview of interMedia for 8.1.5 that mentions this issue (perhaps that's where you got the start_log sanity check?) but I think it only deals with the required listener entries.

John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at: