Re: Coalesce Tablespace Question

From: <xmark.powell_at_eds.com.x>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 14:01:22 GMT

In article <3ADDFBB2.E7607111_at_yahoo.com>, TMAN <shadow_man_600_at_yahoo.com> writes:
>Okay, we have just coverted some tables with longs to tables with
>clobs. We had the chance so we put the clobs in a seperate tablespace.
>In the conversion, we basically copied the production table to a new one
>with different name converting to clobs, then renamed them. Anyway, in
>the end we have several tables(10 to 20Gb each) that will be dropped as
>they are no longer needed. My understanding is that oracle will
>automatically coalesce that space, if any of the chunks that are freed
>are contiguous. If not then the alter tablespace coalesce command will
>force it. Otherwise if the space is not contiguous, then oracle will
>only use the chunks if all an objects next extent will fit with in the
>chunk.
>
>I guess I'm just checking to see if there is anything wierd with this
>situation I should be aware of. Do I need to make any temporary changes
>to %free or %used parameters for the tablespace just before dropping
>them. I am assuming oracle only allocates whole blocks when it extends
>an object, so the %free or %used wouldn't be useful as the entire block
>will be freed and put back on the free list.
>
>Any comments or experience here is appreciated.
>
>Tom Crider
>Senior DBA
>Fundsxpress Financial Systems, Inc
>thom_at_fundsxpress.com

The table parameters pctused and pctfree do not even enter the equation as you are dropping the table so all extents allocated to the tables will be returned to sys.dba_free_space (sys.fet$) and removed from sys.dba_extents (sys.uet$) if dictionary management (all ver prior 8.1) is being employed otherwise if you are using locally managed tablespaces (8.1+ only) then the extents will be returned to the tablespace bitmap. I would issue the alter tablespace coalesce, if dictionary managed, to be sure I got the maximum free space coalesce.