Re: 5 instances = too much ???

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:50:54 -0700

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it sensible? IM(not so)HO No.

Why create multiple instances? Why not just add some more tablespaces to your existing instance and use different schema names?

I see this kind of thing all the time and I see no justification for have multiple copies of the data dictionary. Multiple copies of each and every process. Multiple listeners. And on and on and on. It buys you absolutely nothing but maintenance headaches.

My rule of thumb is one instance per machine. And when the financial types start their whining about the cost of hardware I remind them what it costs when they have to pay me to come in on a weekend and clean up the mess not to mention of value of lost productivity. The last CFO that didn't listen to reason got a lesson in reality. When the machine crashed I phoned him and told him it was his responsibility to notify the company's CEO. And that if he didn't I would forward all of his emails refusing our request for more servers because it would save the company money.

Yes he notified the CEO. And yes we got our servers in less than a month.

Daniel A. Morgan