Re: ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:09:11 +0200

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:31:41 -0700, "SG" <sajnish_gupta_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am trying to create a new database in Oracle 8.1.5 on Sun Solaris, but
>keep getting the error:
>ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed
>
>I get this error in Server Manager when I try to give a STARTUP NOMOUNT
>command.
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>thanks
>Sajnish

Got this one before myself, and researched Metalink for it. The cause is insufficient semaphores. Oracle tries to grab all semaphores on startup. The number of semaphores should be 2 * (the total number of processes for all instances [the sum of akll processes init.ora parameters]) + 10
You need to edit /etc/system to change it. I always forget whether you need to change SEMMNS or SEMMNI, but either your man pages or Metalink can tell you that.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Apr 18 2001 - 16:09:11 CDT