Opinions on SAME?

From: Steve Cole <scole_at_fmgtech.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:41:59 -0400

If anyone has any firsthand experience implementing this or has a strong opinion one way or the other please share.

I agree in principle with most of it - the more physical disk heads you can keep working for you the better off you are, and RAID 0+1 is faster than RAID5.

I have to question putting the redo logs into that mix though. Redo is sequential writes, the other components are random access. I have to think that keeping the redo on a separate hardware RAID 1 by itself would be faster than putting it on the RAID 0+1 with everything else.

Thoughts? Received on Wed Apr 18 2001 - 07:41:59 CDT