Re: 5 instances = too much ???

From: <xmark.powell_at_eds.com.x>
Date: 18 Apr 2001 13:21:53 GMT

In article <3ADD7166.A28BCE14_at_era.ericsson.se>, Feldman Roger <qrarofe_at_era.ericsson.se> writes:
>Oracle People:
>
>I've never had a machine with more than 3 instances. Now we're thinking
>of going from 3 - 5 instances on a machine that has 2Gig memory. None of
>the databases are too big- mostly support for apps like rational.
>
>So- when do you hit the limit for instances ? Is there a rule of thumb ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Roger

Roger, you should be able to get 5 instances on a 2G machine. We have had that many on a 512M machine; however, we started running into trouble with 8.1.7. Some versions, OS dependent, default to hard locking the SGA and the init.ora parameter to control hard locking crashed the DB on startup when set to false. We got a patch from Oracle but it only stopped the instance from crashing and did not stop hard locking. We have a new patch to allow stopping the hard locking but we have not applied it yet.

You should be able to run 5 instances at once but it depends on your SGA requirements and machine load.

I tried to post earlier but received a posting error so if this shows up multiple times, sorry.