Re: Does oracle db serialize concurrent read-only SELECT ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:13:16 +0100

I wonder why you are getting 1,500 round-trips for 3,000 rows ? There may be some interesting new details of client libraries that are trying to save trips. Array fetching is the more efficient mechanism to use, in general, but implementation is language specific.

From your description it sounds as if you have MTS active, but not being used by
your tests. I'm afraid it would be too easy to confuse the issue of how to make sure that you go through MTS when I don't
know what your setup looks like at present. One point to bear in mind, though, if your client software is running on the same
machine as the server: the default Oracle installation usually results in client
connections bypassing the MTS setup
and using local IPC methods to connect.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html