Re: Does oracle db serialize concurrent read-only SELECT ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:12:09 +0100

I think you have a more fundamental performance problem: Your SGA is going to be around 300MB - how much memory do you have on the machine ? Is it possible that you are paging ?

It looks as if your tablescan should be automatically cached in the db_block_buffer (I estimate it will be about 250 blocks, which is less than 2% of your  db_block_buffers), but you might try
'alter table XXX cache' to see if this makes any difference.

I just built a testcase to get some idea of how bad your performance is - NT4.0, 266MHz CPU, 128MB RAM, Oracle 8.1.7. My table is 3,000 rows covering just over 2MB.

If I run 3 concurrent full scans, dumping the data to a spool file, they ALL complete within 0.8 seconds, and I can't start 5 jobs fast enough to ensure that they all run concurrently (without writing up some queuing code)..

You didn't tell us if your clients were local or remote, by the way.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html