Re: Initial Size of Oracle Database

From: Al Willis <alwillis_at_pdq.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:40:07 -0500

Andrew,

Thanks for your response. I agree that Oracle is probable overkill. The problem is that my client is already using a simple destop database with my program. They have currently done over 100 projects with my program. Each project has been set up to use 2 databases. That works out to over 2 databases * 100 projects * 250 MB/database = 50,000 MB = 50 GB.

Al

"andrew_webby at hotmail" <spam_at_no.thanks.com> wrote in message news:987507704.26805.0.nnrp-12.c30bdde2_at_news.demon.co.uk...
> Al
>
> Most of that is taken up by the SYSTEM tablespace which holds the data
> dictionary. I have no idea what the minimum size of a database would be
 (and
> it will differ from version to version anyway), but that's where it's
 going.
> You could create a test instance with AUTOEXTEND ON for SYSTEM tablespace
> and start it at 100M and increase in, say 1M chunks. Then, when
> catalog/catproc have run etc, see what the 'final' size of SYSTEM
 tablespace
> is. Of course, you should be sizing for the amount of data you're going to
> stick in - and that will be in a different tablespace anyway.
>
> Aside to all this, I guess that if you're worried about the size of a
 couple
> of hundred mb swamping your clients, then perhaps Oracle isn't what you
> should be considering...?
>
> "Al Willis" <alwillis_at_pdq.net> wrote in message
> > I'm very new to Oracle. Can someone please provide me with specific
> > information on how to minimize the initial size of an Oracle database.
 When
> > I create a database using the standard tools, it comes out to about 250
 MB