Re: RH 7.0 and Oracle 8.1.7

From: Dom <dom123_at_ottawa.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:23:08 GMT

Martin.Haltmayer_at_0800-einwahl.de (Martin Haltmayer) wrote in <3AD7F87C.20C43EA9_at_0800-einwahl.de>:

>I don't know why this issue appears again and again in this newsgroup.
>If you would have read the archives you would have seen that RH 7.0 does
>not work with 8.1.7 because the glibc version is wrong. You need a patch
>for this. For details please see technet.oracle.com.
>
>Martin

You're right, the issue has come up before. But it can be a tricky one to solve and it took me quite a while as well to find the right URLs. So given that I don't think it hurts to rehash it. This link here is pretty good and helped me out considerably:

http://ccl.osc.edu/cca/software/UNIX/oracle/RH7.0/

I found I didn't need to follow all the steps described there since my Oracle installation worked just fine except that I couldn't create databases. In particular, I've heard a lot of people remarking about the Java problem -- I haven't seen it (yet). That part seems to work pretty much out of the box. I just focussed on the GLIBC stuff and that got me a working system.

BTW, once you get the end-of-file on communication errors you usually can't get going again without doing a reboot. I've found that by doing "ipcrm" and specifying the Oracle resource ids I was good to go again, thereby foregoing the reboot. "man ipcrm" will tell you more -- you can find the list of resources Oracle is using by simply typing "ipcs". "ipcs -l" is handy too for determining the current shared memory and semaphore limits.
You might notice that the alert file for the database gives you a warning about not being able to get the whole SGA into a shared memory segment. This is ok and is not really an error, although I suppose to really optimize things you could up your max. size for shared segments to 50MB or so. I believe it's 32MB by default.
You can apparently do this on the fly by typing "echo 50000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax"

Hope this helps. Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 22:23:08 CDT