Re: How long should the archive log file be kept?

From: Hieraklion <hieraklion_at_spray.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:50:15 +0200

"Bonjour" from Paris,

While recovering a database using online backups, you need to apply a minimum of all the archived log files that were created between the begin backup command and the end backup command (i assume you do not use Rman). If complete recovery is required, all archived redo log files are required.

I worked for three years in the French Oracle Support and to my mind, and I do this now (I'm responsible for databases in production), I never remove archived logs. I put the oldest on tapes (i assume you do not use Rman) in order to minimize disk space. These files can re-build a datafile even a file is not in the backup set. I saw many "backup problems" during my "Oracle life" that would be safety corrected with archived logs prior to a "full" but "not error free" backup.

Another point : In Rman strategy, the "obsolete" command gives obsolete controlfiles backups and obsolete datafiles backups but it does not give obsolete archivedlog files backups. In the Rman strategy, an archivedlog files backup can not be "obsolete".

"Au revoir" from Paris

Hieraklion Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 07:50:15 CDT