Re: Why don't Oracle start on Win2K?

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 06:43:54 GMT

Keith wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. My Win2k box running as an Active Directory PDC has
> been a little strange. Not real confident in the ADS myself at this point.
>
> I blew away the install and started from scratch and just made a stand alone
> server. I could of removed Active Directory, but figured a clean start is
> best since I didn't have any data yet.
>
> I will reinstall Oracle tonight and see what happens this time and will keep
> everyone's suggestions in mind in case I run into any problems again.
>
> I get the feeling that Oracle was really designed for Unix with all of this
> lame java console stuff, maybe to go across multiple platforms using java is
> the real point. I guess you need to be a SQL*PLUS guru anyway to really
> know your DBA stuff, the other tools are pretty slow and not so hot like the
> Enterprise Console under NT. Compared to SQLs MMC manager which is more
> rubost and designed to run on NT/2000 obviously, the Java Windows stuff just
> don't cut it for me and I haven't been impressed. I guess if a company is
> real serious about their DB needs, they should be on a Unix box that is
> configured for that one purpose and application.
>
> Thanks,
> Keith
>

> I blew away the install and started from scratch and just made a stand alone server.
Good move.
Here's a trick - create an oracle user account - say "OraDBA" for example.
As administrator - grant this user account local admin for during the install.
login and install the software as this user - just as you would for a *nix install.
(you pick up on these things when you tinker with Linux - its a great learning exercise).
after you get the binaries loaded and patched, configure the services to start as this user.
then - logged in as admin again, revoke local admin from him. Just keep the user group.
See what breaks.

If you want to start/stop services without a password, grant the local account (created during the Oracle installation) ORA_DBA to whatever user(s).

This stuff is straight out of the platform specific documentation - 8.1.7 for NT - off the docs CDROM. Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 01:43:54 CDT