Re: Queue mechanism for Oracle standard edition

From: Andrew Simkovsky <asimkovsky_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:13:50 -0400

Queue mechanism for Oracle standard editionThis is actually very easy. Of course you will have a table to store the rows in the queue. Let's say you had a table with a primary key, date, and other data like this:

create table test (
pk_num number,
list_date date,
list_text varchar2(4000)
)

Then you would create a view ordered by whatever column you want to base the queue on. If its the list_date, you would use this:

CREATE VIEW test_vu AS
SELECT *
FROM test
ORDER BY list_date;

Then you can find the first item in the queue using this: SELECT *
FROM test_vu
WHERE rownum <= 1;

If you have duplicate values, then you would have to look at using the RANK() or DENSE_RANK() functions. Check Oracle documentation.

By the way, all of this will only work on 8i.

Andrew Simkovsky
OCP DBA ""ronen shachar (Kamoon IL)"" <ronens_at_il.kamoon.com> wrote in message news:95D0D1D311EFD411B495009027D616EFFB1E_at_srv_mail1.il.kamoon.com... Hello all,
We need a queue mechanism (transactional), but we can't use Oracle advance queuing because we are working with oracle standard edition. Does anyone have any idea about a lightweight PL/SQL queue. TIA.
        Ronen. Received on Mon Apr 16 2001 - 13:13:50 CDT