Implicit and Explicit cursors

From: c sharpe <cassandra_sharpe_at_merck.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:48:05 -0400

I work with an application that uses JDBC (the ORACLE thin driver ) to connect to an ORACLE 8i database and our database connections are stored in a connection pool. The application uses the CallableStatement object to execute statements and all database access ( Select, Insert, Update, etc ) is from stored procedures.

Despite our best efforts to explicitly close ResultSet objects and CallableStatement objects .... our database connections continue to leave cursors open. I have read everything I can find about implicit vs. explicit cursors and I believe that these lingering cursors are implicit cursors. And, because we don't close the database Connection object.. .these implicit cursors are never closed.

Can anyone recommend a document that I can read that describes in detail implicit vs. explicit ORACLE cursors and when ORACLE closes and/or deallocates implicit cursors? Has anyone else seen this type of behavior when using connection pools? Any insight someone can provide will be most helpful.

Thank You

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.