Oddness Creating Views?

From: <Doug_at_nospam.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2001 21:16:35 GMT

Hi All,

How come I can do this:

select * from pdtable_12_1, pdtable_12_99

Which returns all the rows in all the tables between 1 & 99 in the sequence.

But I cannot do this:

create view pdtable_12_All as
select * from pdtable_12_1, pdtable_12_99

which gives the error: "ORA-00957 duplicate column name" and points at the
'*'

Further I can do this:

create view pdtable_12_All as
select unit_code from pdtable_12_1

But cannot do this:

create view pdtable_12_All as
select unit_code from pdtable_12_1, pdtable_12_99

which gives the error: "ORA-00918 column ambiguously defined" and points at
'unit_code' (the column name).

I know I join all the tables with a UNION but I don't want to do that as obviously the resulting dataset is un-updateable. The tables are actually partions but Oracle doesn't recognise them as such because of the way the 3rd party software that created the tables did its job.

Any ideas?