Re: Why don't Oracle start on Win2K?

From: Keith <none_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:05:49 GMT

Thanks for the replies. My Win2k box running as an Active Directory PDC has been a little strange. Not real confident in the ADS myself at this point.

I blew away the install and started from scratch and just made a stand alone server. I could of removed Active Directory, but figured a clean start is best since I didn't have any data yet.

I will reinstall Oracle tonight and see what happens this time and will keep everyone's suggestions in mind in case I run into any problems again.

I get the feeling that Oracle was really designed for Unix with all of this lame java console stuff, maybe to go across multiple platforms using java is the real point. I guess you need to be a SQL*PLUS guru anyway to really know your DBA stuff, the other tools are pretty slow and not so hot like the Enterprise Console under NT. Compared to SQLs MMC manager which is more rubost and designed to run on NT/2000 obviously, the Java Windows stuff just don't cut it for me and I haven't been impressed. I guess if a company is real serious about their DB needs, they should be on a Unix box that is configured for that one purpose and application.

Thanks,
Keith

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3AD913B0.208D827E_at_exesolutions.com...
> What you are missing is that Windows Services are remarkably dumb. They
 really
> haven't a clue whether something is started or not. Just that they tried
> start it. What you report is a very common occurrence. Look at the Event
 Viewer