Re: ORA-00353: log corruption near block 1375

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:05:00 +0200

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:14:55 GMT, James Thornton <james_at_nospam.jamesthornton.com> wrote:

>How can I fix this...
>
>(Oracle 8.1.7)
>
>SVRMGR> startup
>ORACLE instance started.
>Total System Global Area 84713632 bytes
>Fixed Size 73888 bytes
>Variable Size 76079104 bytes
>Database Buffers 8388608 bytes
>Redo Buffers 172032 bytes
>Database mounted.
>ORA-00368: checksum error in redo log block
>ORA-00353: log corruption near block 1375 change 1123028 time 04/14/2001
>10:57:44
>ORA-00312: online log 1 thread 1:
>'/ora8/m01/app/oracle/oradata/ora8/redo01.log'
>
>Thanks.
>
>- JT

Hopefully you had Oracle the redo log mirrored. If not, IMO you are in trouble. The message definitely means the disk is corrupt at that spot.
If you have the redo log mirrored, shut down the database now, and make a backup.
Then check the disk and restore the backup, replacing the faulty redo log by the hopefully good one.
If you have an older backup, and are not running in archivelog I am afraid you are going to loose data. If you are running in archivelog you need to restore the backup and recover the database using backup controlfile.
As you don't outline your config specifically, this is presently the only advice I can offer you.

Hope this helps in some fashion
If not post a followup and try to be as specific as possible. As it is 01:04 AM here, I will only be capable to respond to any followup tomorrow.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Apr 15 2001 - 18:05:00 CDT