Re: Why don't Oracle start on Win2K?

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:49:57 GMT

Acid wrote:

> The services start correctly.
>
> But, when trying to connect with sqlplus, it gives the Oracle not available.
>
> If I go to the server DOS prompt and do a svrmgrl and connect internal, then
> do a startup, the database mounts and all it good.
>
> What am I missing for this to occur automatically?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Keith,

Certain versions of Oracle Server for NT have problems with autostart. These problems are fixed in 8.1.6.3.4 and 8.1.7.0.2. (and 8.1.6.1.5).

Also, use the Oracle Administrative Assistant to determine if the instance is set to start when the service is started.

Start >> Programs >> Oracle - Orahome81 - Database ADministration - Oracle Administration Assistant for NT

This is a MMC snap-in, that you had to select at install time. It requires the Microsoft MAnagement Console. There is a check box for this setting, which is just a GUI to a registry key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0\ ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART : REG_EXPAND_SZ : TRUE

So if you are running NT 4 Workstation, and have not installed option pack 4, you might not have the MMC installed. Just edit the key in the registry yourself (the usual cautions apply - back it up first).

hth,

Paul Received on Sun Apr 15 2001 - 12:49:57 CDT