Re: error: ora-27101 shared memory realm does not exist

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:58:35 GMT

Acid wrote:

> Sorry to sound stupid, kind of new to oracle, but when you say enter / as
> Sysdba, that doesn't make sense.
>
> I can enter a user/pass_at_oracleserve name, then when I press enter to move
> on, it gives the error:
>
> ORA-01034: Oracle not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>
> Then, it just gives me the prompt back for username/pass/host string box to
> login.
>
> I can't get to the sqlplus> to do a startup
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Keith,

Sorry that I was not more clear.
in the sql*plus login window
(Start >> Programs >> Oracle - Orahome81 >> Application Development >> sql*plus

in the top field enter - / as sysdba

provided that you only have one database that you want to connect to, and that the value of ORACLE_SID is populated. To set this environment variable, go into the control panel >> system >> advanced >> Environment Variables.
This variable can be set system-wide, or specific to the current user. In the lower panel you will see "System variables". If the variable ORACLE_SID already exists, check to see that the value is current.
If it does not exist, click "New".
For the Variable Name: - enter ORACLE_SID For the Vairable Value: - enter <your_sid> (e.g. DEV) click OK.
click ok
click ok.

close any open Command Prompt windows, as they have not inherited the change yet.
try again to connect via sqlplus with the login string "/ as sysdba"

hth,

Paul