Fragmented vs. Contiguous vs. Single-extent segments

From: Paul Miller <millerp_at_sql.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:39:04 +0100

In the recent debate at the oracledba_at_lazydba.com mailing list on locally/dictionary managed tablespaces, several suggestions were made about the loss of performance brought on by fragmentation. I have always wondered how great that loss of performance is.

So I set up the experiment and ran the tests, and the results may be a little surprising. Instead of going into the detail on the list though, I have posted the initial results and a description of the experiment at:

http://www.caribdata.co.uk/tech/frag.html

Your comments are welcome.

Regards

Paul Miller
--
-

Carib Data Limited Received on Sat Apr 14 2001 - 04:39:04 CDT