Re: backup question

From: Hieraklion <hieraklion_at_spray.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:07:34 +0200

"Bonjour" from Paris,

While recovering a database using online backups, you need to apply a minimum of all the archived log files that were created between the begin backup command and the end backup command (i assume you do not use Rman). If complete recovery is required, all archived redo log files are required.

Synopsys :

1/archive log list -> oldest online sequence number. You need to keep all the archived log files starting from sequence number "oldest online log sequence" as part of the online backup.

2/alter tbs xxxx begin backup;
OS command to backup files
alter tbx xxxx end backup;
alter tbs yyyy begin backup;
OS command to backup files
alter tbs yyyy end backup;
3/archive log list -> current log sequence number. This is the last redo log file you must keep as part of the online backup. Force a log switch so that Oracle will create an archived log file :

4/alter system switch logfile;
5/Backup up all the archived log files using an OS command.
6/Backup up the control file using alter database backup controlfile to 'zzzzz'

Using Rman, do not use the "alter tbs begin backup, end backup". The philosophy is the same.

"Au revoir" from Paris
Hieraklion