Re: Oracle Memory Configuration (newbie)

From: Steve Long <steven.long_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:11:38 -0400

daniel,

there is a parameter file for each instance, referred to as the "init.ora" (pronounced "init dot ora"), which sets memory consumption at start up of the instance. these parameters are very important for performance. they control a part of the instance called the "system global area", or SGA. the more "stuff" one can put in memory, the faster the instance performs (some of the securities exchanges maintain the entire database in RAM - but they can afford to do it...and they cannot afford to not do it...and this is an extreme exception to the norm). however, if the oracle instance takes away memory from other processes or the OS, then swapping and thrashing may occur, which has a negative effect on system performance. thus, there is a balance. it seems that you should have about 500mb to play with.

i recommend you review the oracle manual which identifies all of the init.ora parameters. this is available at http://otn.oracle.com. there is no cost to use otn, but you do have to register.

also, i have included an "init.ora" parameter file below from a (very tuned) oracle7.3.4 on-line transaction processing system which uses Java interfaces. if you are on oracle8i, some of these parameters are obsolete.

also, keep in mind that the oracle instance identified (SID) is usually part of the init file name. for example, if your SID is "prod", then the init file name would most likely be initprod.ora.

steve long
"The world's best technology strategist." (TM)

db_name = prod
db_files = 32

control_files = (E:\ORAdata1\prod\Ctl1prod.ora,

                 F:\oradata2\prod\Ctl2prod.ora)

rollback_segments = (R01,R02,R03,R04,R05, R06, R07, R08)

compatible = 7.3.3.0.0

db_file_multiblock_read_count = 32
db_block_buffers = 25000
shared_pool_size = 60000000
log_checkpoint_interval = 10000

processes =  500                                         # INITIAL
dml_locks =  100                                         # INITIAL
log_buffer =  1048576                                        # INITIAL
sequence_cache_entries =  10               # INITIAL
sequence_cache_hash_buckets =  10     # INITIAL

max_dump_file_size = 10240      # limit trace file size to 5 Meg each

background_dump_dest=E:\oradba\admin\prod\bdump user_dump_dest=E:\oradba\admin\prod\udump

db_block_size = 4096

snapshot_refresh_processes = 2
remote_login_passwordfile = shared
text_enable = true