Oracle Memory Configuration (newbie)

From: Daniel Hoppe <hoppe_at_sitewaerts.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:27:10 +0200

Hi,

sorry for asking this very general question, but I'm not a dba but a Java developer. I'm running Oracle 8.1.6 on a Winnt 4 box. Physical RAM available is 1GB, but the machine is never taking more than 500mb, usually there are about 750 available. Does Oracle consume the memory itself when it's getting load or are there general memory settings I need to change?
I tried to figure what I should do with 'Oracle Performance Tuning', but there is much on general things and relations of memory settings, but they don't really bring it down to numbers. I know that it's difficult to impossible to give advice on such general topic, but I'd be thankful for any advice anyway.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Received on Thu Apr 12 2001 - 10:27:10 CDT