Re: Parallel processing advantages

From: Martin Drautzburg <drautzburg_at_altavista.net>
Date: 13 Apr 2001 02:50:07 +0200

"Steve Long" <steven.long_at_erols.com> writes:

> if one recognizes that there may be latency between requests or even
> during a single request, then multiple queries can take advantage of
> the latency.

I agree. We made the experience that even on a single processor machine with not much activity except one large query, the query will finish fater when run with 2 processes.

I explained that to myself, the same way Steve did: If I/O is the limiting factor then 2 processes will be just as slow as a single one. But when here are other things going on, the second process can jump in while the 1st is pondering and not accessing the disk. Received on Thu Apr 12 2001 - 19:50:07 CDT