Re: Parallel processing advantages

From: Steve Long <steven.long_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:24:28 -0400

in general, performance should benefit from parallel query (which is different from parallel server). the key factors you need to consider are:

  1. frequency of queries
  2. number and type of queries
  3. range of the size of result sets (something like a bell curve...what % have how many rows returned)
  4. speed of the disk, controller, and i/o bus and latency potential between reads

if one recognizes that there may be latency between requests or even during a single request, then multiple queries can take advantage of the latency. also, if queries are returning similar result sets, the data may be cached in the i/o card memory (if it has a cache). sometimes dbas tend to overlook the fack that "contiguous blocks" from oracle's perspective may be fragmented physical blocks on a disk, as oracle works above the physical disk layer (unless raw i/o is being used, which most of the time is not). so the disk heads are most likely bouncing around no matter what you do with logical space.

steve long
"The world's best technology strategist." (TM)