Re: error: ora-27101 shared memory realm does not exist

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:07:50 GMT

Acid wrote:

> error: ora-27101 shared memory realm does not exist
>
> While installing on 2K box, it gave a few strange memory errors, but I
> ignored like a good engineer and it continued to the finish.
>
> Now, after setup, when trying to connect with SQL*PL, I get that above
> error. First, I get the Oracle not available message, followed by the one
> above.
>
> Is there a web site for support and knowledge base to search for this kind
> of stuff? I went to technet.support.com, it didn't have anything, pretty
> much unnavigable to me. Maybe it's late, but I wonder about these so called
> gurus and their site layouts and support.
>
> Anyway, any ideas appreciated.
>
> Keith

Most likely, the NT Service was started, but the Oracle instance was not.
startup sql*plus and connect as sysdba:

in the user field, enter / as sysdba
you should get the banner in the sql*plus window.

type

SQLPLUS> startup

and you should see the instance come up.

if not, you may have to specify the full path to the init<SID>.ora file, e.g.

SQLPLUS> startup pfile='D:\Oracle\Admin\DEV\initDEV.ora'

hth,

Paul Received on Thu Apr 12 2001 - 02:07:50 CDT