Re: sort_area_size

From: Tanel Põder <tanel_at_altavista.kom>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:39:02 +0200

> But from where I sit Mr. Sanchez, your answer was long, wide, blunt, and
 not to the
> point of the original question which was "how to determinate the "good"
 value for
> the parameter sort_area_size ?"

hi, i might be stupid not using
undocumented-internal-secret-extremely-effective methods, but so far i've determined the appropriate sort_area_size using data from v$sysstat. it works, at least in oltp enviroment.

SQL> select * from v$sysstat where name like '%sort%';

180 sorts (memory) 64 3915304
181 sorts (disk) 64 120

in this example we see that disk/memory sort ratio is very low (120 disk sorts vs 4 millions mem sorts).
i might even lower my sort area size from 64k to 32k, but i dont have that much concurrent users anyway.

Tanel Poder
Sr DBA Received on Thu Apr 12 2001 - 03:39:02 CDT