Re: MILLION DOLLAR CHALLENGE FROM ORACLE

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 03:09:11 GMT

in article 9b1tln$srg2_at_imsp212.netvigator.com, CSC at jcheong_at_cooper.com.hk wrote on 4/11/01 8:36 AM:

> Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:24:23 GMT Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com> wrote:

>> Oracle9i Data Cache is an Oracle9i Application Server feature (iAS). It's
>> available now and works against an Oracle8i Database.
>>

> Can I use Oracle9i Data Cache to work against other databases than
> Oracle8i Database?

Funny, we were just expounding on this today in the office - the answer is yes. You would need an Oracle database (albeit with no data) to hold the metadata, and then a Transparent Gateway from this database to the datasource you want to cache.The cache would then pull the third party data through the linl. Cool.

It's also interesting that VPD across a database link to a non-Oracle data source also works, as well as many other 'Oracle' only features. So in many cases you can actually apply an Oracle feature directly to non-Oracle data without actually having to store the data in Oracle. I can see the billboard now

'Every database in the world is actually an Oracle database' ;-) Received on Wed Apr 11 2001 - 22:09:11 CDT