bad backup recovery scenario

From: John Kelly <jtkelly_at_usadatanet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:29:58 -0400

I have a situation that I have no control with, but know I will be asked to fix when a problem occurs.
Can one recover a database that is ONLY backed up from a OS backup utility (basically backing up every file ) when the database is opened. I know this is bad, I've told them, but I know I will be involved in recovery some data? Is this at all possible, to recover partially, completely etc, some data if I had to restore all files from a backup?

    Reds,
    John