Re: How important is Perl for a dba ???

From: Uwe Schneider <us_at_webde-ag.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:28:54 +0200

> Anurag Minocha wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I was wondering how important it is for a DBA to learn perl.
> Also what are the advantages perl has over other languages. I mean
> what is that makes perl a preferred language for database scipting and
> other stuff.
>
> Thanks
> Anurag
>
> -- Posted from jshemail.herold.com [63.105.8.12] via Mailgate.ORG
> Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Perl has (in my opinion) an excellent Database API called DBI. I regularily use perl for creating Oracle-related DBA utilities or reports, since it allows for RAD and comes with excellent built-ins. Perl is _not_ the best language for OOD/P, but that is rarely a drawback for scripting.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider - WEB.DE AG  - Amalienbadstr. 41  - 76227 Karlsruhe
F&E / Database & Software Technologies - Tel. (+49) 721 94329 8320