Re: Restricting access by client type

From: <xmark.powell_at_eds.com.x>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 13:25:48 GMT

In article <9avik5$22g$1_at_news.netmar.com>, <tmeisky_at_remove.limited.com> writes:

>My company has begun a quest to limit the access a user has to a database
>based on the client they are using. The AS400/DB2 group is using a product
>called Palace Guard to restrict what users who are connecting via Microsoft
>Access are allowed to do. They want to implement a similar product for the
>UNIX/Oracle database servers.
>
>Does anyone have a recommendation or experience with a product that would
>allow us to control access by client type.
>
>Thank You,
>
>Ted Meisky
>Limited Technology Services, Inc.

If you have Oracle version 8.1+ then you can use what Oracle terms fine grained access control to limit user access. You use a combination of a database logon trigger and context areas to enforce complex rules.

I do not know where this is documented in the manuals but I would search Concepts, DBA Admin, and the manual on Oracle provided packages for related sections. If you have a Metalink account I would search there also.