Re: Joins in the from clause?

From: Joachim Pense <joachim.pense_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:01:15 +0200

Brian Peasland wrote:

> There are many different levels to the ANSI SQL92 standard. RDBMS
> vendors are only compliant with the entry level of the SQL92 standard to
> be able to put that "ANSI compliant" tag on their product. No RDBMS
> vendor currently supports *all* of the SQL92 levels in their products.
>
> In this case, Microsoft supports a further level than other RDBMS
> vendors. But this in and of itself does not mean that Microsoft supports
> levels that Oracle and other vendors do not. This just means that
> Microsoft has chosen this level in this particular case.

I used the term "ANSI style" just as a short (and, as you point, not quite correct) label denoting the

        from a inner join b on a.x = b.x inner join c on a.y = c.y

join syntax, as opposed to the traditional

        from a, b, c where a.x = b.x and a.y = c.y

style, because I think (not quite sure) that the first style was introduced by the ANSI commitee. I do not care much if Oracle is ANSI-compliant in this respect (it probably is), it is just that I happen to like the new style.

Joachim Received on Wed Apr 11 2001 - 08:01:15 CDT