Re: Extra CPU

From: Kevin Brand <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:15:09 -0500

You can't predict which one, no, but you can set affinity once it's running so that you confine it to just one processor.

Using a dual Pentium NT 4.0 box and MKS Toolkit, I ran the following test:

In a dos window running sh.exe I start a CPU muncher in a tight loop: while :
do
:
done

Now, task manager shows cpu0 averaging 95% and cpu1 averaging 5% ( or so ) as well as overall cpu utilization at 54% ( or so ).

Now, I set affinity so that my sh.exe executes exclusively on cpu0:

Now, task manager shows cpu0 absolutely pegged at 100% and cpu1 very near idle. Overall cpu utilization seems the same ( maybe just a few points less on average ).

-Kevin

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message news:OzNA6.2357$%o2.113927_at_news1.sttls1.wa.home.com...
> No it should just spin the one the procedure is running on. (you can't
> predict which one)
> Jim
>
> "Ilya Kuzkin" <elliew_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Nope. It's a standard loop construction.
> > You can try it yourself:
> > begin
> > for i in 1..200000 loop
> > null;
> > end loop;
> > end;
> >
> > Spins the single processor fairly well on any NT platform.
> >
> > And I really do wonder will it spin all CPUs if we have more than one.
> >
> > Sincerely, Ilya.
> >
> > Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > > Find out why it is using so much processor time. Is it all dynamic
 sql?
> > > Jim
> > >
> > > "Ilya Kuzkin" <elliew_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
 of
 them
 working
 cycle