Re: MILLION DOLLAR CHALLENGE FROM ORACLE

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:44:19 GMT

in article 3ad40e47.2871849_at_news-server, Nuno Souto at nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam wrote on 4/11/01 1:07 AM:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:24:23 GMT, Mark Townsend
> <markbtownsend_at_home.com> wrote:
>

>> Oracle9i Data Cache is an Oracle9i Application Server feature (iAS). It's
>> available now and works against an Oracle8i Database.
>>

> Bugger! You mean I can't use it on a normal 9i database (no web)?
> Darn! there goes my cunning 3-tier performance plan. :-)
> Oh well roll on 9i and let's see what's really inside it then!
> Couldn't care less about OAS caches, quite frankly. Data or page.
> Still, a nice idea.

Sorry - should have been clearer - you can use the Data Cache with any Oracle client - web, forms, reports, Pro*C, ODBC, what have you. You have to install Oracle9i Application Server to do so, however (Note: Not OAS). So logically it looks like Client -> Data Cache -> Database (8i or 9i). Physically this can be 1,2 or 3 tiers, although having the Data Cache on the same box as the Database doesn't make much sense.

I'm pretty certain that the first release only caches data from one back end database - i.e any distributed queries are performed at the database end, not in the Data Cache.

The other cache in Oracle9i Application Server, the Web Cache, does cache only HTML. So it looks like: Browser -> Web Cache -> JSP/Dynamic HTML/Static HTML -> Data Cache (optional) -> Database

Confused ? Received on Wed Apr 11 2001 - 04:44:19 CDT