Re: Redo log & RAID

From: default <plb2862_at_cts.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:35:27 -0700

I'm a newbie and just finished the Backup and Recovery course for Oracle. My instructor (DBA for Intuit 13+ yrs) was saying the same thing about creating a third or more member in the groups each member stored on a diferent disk (or medium) as software mirroring. For a while I couldn't understand the need for software RAID as I assumed you would mirror your first drive and stripe the first and second on the third and fourth for greater protection. I wasn't realizing that each member of a group was a mirror of the first member stored on their own disks. My question then becomes, if you are mirroring with the software why mirror with the hardware? Wouldn't that become more troublesome. Why do both if one is sufficient and even better? Or is it?

                HardDrive1      HardDrive2     HardDrive3      HardDrive4
                Member a        Member b       Member c
Group 1    redo01a.log     redo01b.log     redo01c.log
Group 2    redo02a.log     redo02b.log     redo02c.log
Group 3    redo03a.log     redo03b.log     redo03c.log
etc...