Re: JDEdwards and Uniform tablespaces

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:51:47 GMT

Jay,

> We're doing a JDEdwards implementation. I'm building a new database so I
> figure what better time to try out locally managed tablespaces and uniform
> extents. But when you install jdedwards it builds ~2200 tables, not all are
> used (20-25%), they build all the tables for all their modules, even if you
> don't use all the modules.
>
> Am I right in thinking - If I use uniform extents, when I build the tables,
> even the unused tables will have a least 1 extent allocated? Which
> depending on my extent size, could mean a lot of wasted space.

Yes, you are right.

> - Is there anyway to build a table an not allocate the first extent?

No. When you create a table, it will allocate it's first extent.

> - If during table creation, I specify the extent size, does that override
> the uniform extent size? (I doubt it).

No. If a table is placed into a locally managed tablespace and you specify an initial extent, then the management of that tablespace will override your specification.

> - Am I better off just using a default storage spec of:
> initial 1k
> next 50M
> pctincrease 0

Yes and no. An initial extent of 1k is most likely smaller than your db_block_size. So more will be allocated than just 1k. But you may be better off using dictionary managed and choosing appropriate sizes for your INITIAL and NEXT extents. If that is the case, then I suggest you not use a PCTINCREASE=0 or SMON will not be able to coalesce free space in the tablespace.

You may still want to use locally managed tablespaces and choose the AUTOALLOCATE option. This will initially allocate small extents and make the extents increasingly bigger as you extend more and more.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at