server won't start: ORA-03113 etc

From: Samuel Chen <samuel_at_websina.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:53:13 -0700

I installed oracle 8i (8.1.6) enterprise sever (typical) on windows 2000 professional and it was working properly for quite some time (on and off, not always runnning).

Yesterday, when I use the service panel to start the server, I got a time-out. I then killed this process and try to start it again, it stated. However, when I try to connect it with, say, sqlplus, I got a
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel error.

If I reboot the computer and start the oracle server, it again takes infinite time and it has to be killed and started again (the second try alway works as appeared). But I suspect the server has never been started properly.

So, I decided to re install oracle.
(uninstalled, clear up register, remove all the folders...) The installation proceeded well until
it initialize the database, it again give me this ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel If I igonre it, it then gives me
ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure

Any way, this is the best I can describe. I tried to search all the ORA-03113 related stuff, It still didn't give me a clear idea how to fix it.

If anyone have any information with regard to this behavior, please share it with me. Thank you very much. -Samuel. Received on Tue Apr 10 2001 - 11:53:13 CDT