Extra CPU

From: Ilya Kuzkin <elliew_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:55:57 -0600

Hi, All.
Environment:
Oracle 8.0.4 (yes, desupported), Dec Alpha NT 4.0 (of course desupported too) :)
Here's the problem - We've got several concurrent processes and one of them performs heavy PL/SQL code and another executes queries one after another (lets call them Process 1 and Process 2 for the further reference). Process 1 is basically spinning the server for the 80% of its working cycle with PL/SQL long lasting loop so the performance of Process 2 falls drastically (4 times) and we really cannot afford this. So, I wonder... If we add the second processor to this dinosaur. Would it really improve the situation? Wont it happen that that loop will occupy and spin both CPUs as it spins the single one? My concern is - we cannot just take that proc out of the blue, we have to destroy the standby server machine so it may be costly for us... But if we will be able to obtain seriuous benefits from this move, please let me know.

Sincerely, Ilya. Received on Mon Apr 09 2001 - 18:55:57 CDT