Re: Oracle SQLPLUS Question.

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 12:23:52 GMT

On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 11:29:17 GMT, "Roland Dunn" <roland_dunn_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know the command to use in SQLPLUS (Linux and Oracle 8.1.6) to
>find what databases are present in an oracle installation?
>In MySQL the command is "mysqlshow" - is there something similar in Oracle
>SQLPLUS?

Roland, ORACLE does not have "multiple databases" concept like MySQL. Nothing to stop you from storing more than one logical database in a single ORACLE instance, or having multiple instances of the code each controlling one or more logical databases, or any combination between these two.

In general, what we call an ORACLE "instance" is one set of ORACLE backend servers and shared memory. Within each of these sets, you may have many logical sets of tables/indexes/whatever making up one or more conventional "databases". You see them using the ORACLE data dictionary view ALL_OBJECTS, ordered by column OWNER.

If you have many of these "instances" in the same system, then a convenient way of finding what they are is to look at the "/etc/oratab" file or do a "ps -ef|grep pmon|more" at the Unix prompt.

HTH Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sun Apr 08 2001 - 07:23:52 CDT