Re: oracle doesnt start

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 17:49:32 GMT

Ed,

From the readme.txt from the 8.1.6.3.4 patchset

--The following fixes were included in 8.1.6.1.5 PSE but not in 8.1.6.3.0 Patchset.
  They are include in this PSE to make 8.1.6.3 cumulative from 8.1.6.1.5 PSE. 1612473 1266248 RDBMS ORACLESERVICE<SID> FAILS TO AUTOMATICALLY START THE DATABASE You can obtain the patchset from http://metalink.oracle.com Click on the Patches button, select Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition for WinNT and search.

There is one other thing to check:

there is a registry setting

HKLM\Software\Oracle\HOME0\ORA_<SID>_AUTOSTART:REG_EXPAND_SZ:TRUE

This can be set via the Oracle Administration Assistant for NT. In the Assistant window, expand the tree, select the database, right click on it and select Startup/Shutdown options. You'll see a checkbox for the instance to be started when the service is started.

hth,

Paul