Re: sort_area_size

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 10:54:34 GMT

On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 18:28:15 GMT, Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net> wrote:

>forced by the segment header. So, to truly optimize the temporary
>tablespace, you can set the extents to be a multiple of sort area size
>PLUS 1 block. You will always waste some space in each sort extent, but
>the disk IO will be saved.

And don't forget to look at the database block size. It's pointless to ask for an extent size that is not an exact multiple of it, it will cause even more confusion as to what is allocated where and when.

Reminds me of the default tablespace allocation I found of (initial 5K, next 5K) in a database with a block size of 16K. No confusion whatsoever as to what the objects where being allocated with...

>Because this can be set for each user, you might have several "classes" of
>users, some of whom to OLTP work and other who do DSS stuff. You might
>find that the DSS people benefit from a larger sort area, so you might
>want to see about modifying their applications, if possible, to do the
>"alter session" thing as they log on. In 8i, you can create a logon
>trigger to do this for you.

That is one very nice piece of info and makes a lot of sense! I wish all my PS clients where using 8i. With third party "locked code" apps, this trigger is worth its weight in gold!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sun Apr 08 2001 - 05:54:34 CDT