Q.Logic of OS Authentication to start up a db?

From: Huiming Li <huiming_at_pop21.odn.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 23:48:44 +0900

According to the ORACLE documents, if you want to do OS Authentications to start a database, the following two steps are necessary:
1). puut the os user into DBA group
2). set REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD to NONE.

However, according to my understanding, the parameter file is referred only when you start up the database. At this time, the authentication process has already be finished, so why bother to set set REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD.

Please see the following comments:

$sqlplus /nolog

SQL> connect / as sysdba     -- no paramter file referred
Connected.                   -- authentication process end
SQL> startup pfile = initTEST.ora -- only at this time, the parameter file will be referred.

Please tell me where I am wrong.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards

Lee Received on Sat Apr 07 2001 - 09:48:44 CDT