Re: How to "Defragment" Tablespaces ?

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 17:19:35 GMT

Erich

Good for you. You spread out IO among multiple drives and increased throughput, just like I suggested. So, what about it? Are you suggesting that there is some significance to the fact that they were all indexes? Time for a story...

My late uncle Osvaldo used to have a trucking company, mostly short haul between two cities. Traffic was hideous on the one highway available and it always took two hours to make the fifty mile trip. A new highway was under construction, but in the meantime he had to deal with the reality of the two hour drive. That's okay, he made money anyway and was able to acquire a competitor and doubled his fleet. As it happened, he ended up with his old blue trucks and a bunch of yellow trucks. He never got around to painting them all the same color. I guess he was too cheap, whatever.

One day they finally completed and opened a new highway and he decided to send half his trucks on the old highway and half on the new one. Auntie Rosa was mysteriously supersticious, being from the old country. I always thought she was a bruja, but that is another story. Anyway, she insisted that he send the yellow trucks on the new highway and only the blue trucks on the old road. Osvaldo knew better, but he knew even better not to argue with his bruja bride. So he split his fleet by color.

Sure enough, the two hour trip became a one hour trip for all trucks. Rosa gave him a satisfied smile, further empowered by her prowess. Osvaldo never argued with success. After that, you never saw a yellow truck and a blue truck on the same highway.

What do you think, Erich? He would have been a brilliant DBA, right?