Re: Which version of Oracle 8 to choose and why?

From: Fred A G <nospam_at_allowed.localhost>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:39:47 +0200

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3ACABDD5.A9A4429E_at_exesolutions.com...
> My comments interspersed below.
>
> Daniel A. Morgan
>

> Jason Seeley wrote:
>
> > Half my problem is that Baan do not support any one version over
 another,
> > here is the reply I got from Baan Support regarding this matter.
>
> That doesn't matter. They are clearly telling you that they support a
 number of
> releases.
>
> The answer below clearly indicates that they support 8.1.7 which is
 the most
> recently released version by Oracle. If Oracle supports your hardware
 platform
> that is the correct answer. Do not make a simple decision complex by
 expecting
> Baan to differentiate between different things that are equivalent.

Hmm... I fail to see why this is so simple :-) In a situation where you spend close to a million bucks, it seems alright to put a little more effort in the decisions than a toss of the dice (if you know what i mean)...

For instance, why then are there many versions combinations if they really are equivalent (impossible!)?

Or, why is 8.1.5 "supported" when it is known to have tons of bugs and other issues?

I'm sure the different T64 versions have their own "quirks", not mentioning bugs (different major versions and releases should be of some importance)?

I recently been in a project where the database on a particular platform was supported, but the application ran much better on a slightly older db server version (from what I can tell, Oracle still claims that backwards compatibility exists).

Regards
Fad

> Daniel A. Morgan
>

> > >Hi Jason,
> > > Here is the matrix of the supported combination of DEC_ALPHA
 unix and
 Oracle 8 for all