Re: Insert into remote database give wrong sql%rowcount

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:43:53 +0100

Bell wrote in message ...
>What does a tkprof report give for the number of rows processed?

        Good thought - has I switched tracing on at both ends
        I could have checked for multiple EXEC lines.

>Would there be any reason to believe that Oracle has submitted the inserts
>as series of batch/bulk inserts and the rowcount was just the last piece of
>the insert.

    Another good thought - again I should have tried tracing.     Strangely, though, another piece of code using the same     strategy kept giving the right answers, even when transferring     the same numbers of rows, or physical volume of data.

    It almost looked is if the problem was associated with the     complexity of the underlying select statement - an easy one     gave the right answers, the complex one gave wrong answers.

>I was speaking with Oracle a week or so ago and it seems they have many
>problems with the way DB links have been implemented in all 8.1.5 and 8.1.6
>versions. (eg. don't try to use bind variables across a DB link) If
>possible you might want to try 8.1.7 as according to Oracle the DB link
>problems I was having was resolved only in this release.

    I had heard comments too - interesting point about bind variables,     there were bind variables involved in both statements.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html