Re: Pro C question (also about Java versus C)

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 02:48:50 GMT

Two ways -

  1. For all versions (Oracle 7 onwards), use a pipe (dbms_pipe) to wake up the server side program - i.e the client places a message on the pipe, the serverside program is polling on the other end. Thomas Kyte has a nice implementation of the PL/SQL and C source required called Plex, see http://govt.oracle.com/~tkyte/plex/
  2. From Oracle8 onwards, consider External Procedures. These are similar to datablades in Informix - see http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.804/a58236/10_procs.htm (note the reference is for version 8 docs, if you are on Oracle8i you should use the 8i documentation)

Note that both implementations have different session semantics - pipes via Plex may be your quickest and easiest solution for conversion