Re: Oracle RDB and Oracle 8i ???

From: Ed Stevens <ed.stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:07:01 GMT

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:44:54 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"Anurag Minocha" <AMinocha_at_herold.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> What is the difference between Oracle RDB and Oracle 8i.
>>
>> Oracle 8i is also a relational Database System then why a seperate
 product.

>> Thanks
>> Anurag
>>
>> --
>> Posted from jshemail.herold.com [63.105.8.12]
>> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
>
>Oracle RDB was DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) RDB before Oracle bought
>it.
>Provisions were made Oracle was not allowed to drop it.
>
>Regards,
>
>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

FWIW, I attended an Rdb Admin course less than a year after Oracle had bought Rdb. The instructor said that the Oracle "suits" who had done the deal had expected to be able to eventually merge the two products, but after the deal was done and the engineers finally got a chance to look at it, they discovered the two products were too internally dissimilar to be able to provide any effective migration/merge path.

Oracle did manage to dramatically increase maintenance contract fees on Rdb. The company I worked for at the time (and still work *at*, on someone else's payroll) was paying DEC a few thousand per year for maintenance. When Oracle bought it, maintenance went to tens of thousands per year.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)