Re: Intel processor performance

From: Reg <RegBurgess_at_Lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 08:08:08 -0400

The answer is one HUGE  "It depends".
on a whole buncha things....
What is being done - and how.
What the current bottle necks are - although you don't indicate there are any.

So, if/when things change where do you expect/hope the changes will be ? i)  More web site hits - obviously.
ii) Scans of larger tables - maybe, if you are expanding a catalogue or set of customer accounts.
iii) More table joins - and bigger tables being joined - probably, if you're growing a business.
iv) through n)  it goes on and on...

At some point just start taking measurements and understand if I/O, memory, CPU or plain ole Oracle tuning are limiting throughput.

Its a(nother) never ending quest.

\R